Designed for novice to expert levels
Contamination in the form of air, which can be foam or entrained air bubbles create adverse effects in machinery and lubricants. Issues such as incomplete oil films, low oil pressures, accelerated oil degradation and additive depletion are all symptoms of high foam tendency, which can produce metal wear, inadequate lubrication, cavitation in pumping and mechanical failures.
Standard Test Method ASTM D892 was really developed for lubrication testing and to determine the foaming characteristics of lubricants oils, by empirically rating their foaming tendency and stability. Standard Test Method ASTM D892 was developed to determine a lubricants ability to resist foam formation and dissipate foam creation. However, measuring foam heights is a challenge, as it relies on the human eye” to measure foam heights which create a significant user resulting in human errors, bias and poor repeatability and reproducibility. The FOAM Digital Detection Imaging (FoamDDI) accurately controls the air flow, temperature and sequence, which is then augmented using a unique VISION algorithm to accurately determine the height of station and dynamic foam heights, while greatly improving the precision and accuracy.
The all new FoamDDI eliminates the need for sample manipulation and critical timing involved with regular foam detector methods. Using a patent pending heating and cooling system with a vision algorithm and lubrication testing automation the FoamDDI, records, calculates and displays accurate results with little to no operation bias. Determinations come from this foam detector in minutes!
- Using a high resolution camera with state of the art optics for lubrication testing, FoamDDI quickly brings sample in inserted cylinder to test temperature.
- After a soaking time, the foam detector and analyzer starts air for FOAM production.
- Air Flow is controlled using Mass Air Flow Controllers (MFC)
- At the 5 min. mark, an LED light source is activated.
- VISION algorithm is activated and begins analyzes
- Complete sequence is recorded and analyzed.
- Test is completed or next sequence can automatically be continued if desired.